Suffering from cough and makes wheezing sound. Prescribed Mucolite Oral drops, Nasoclear and Levolin syrup. Help?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hi, My daughter is one & half month old and suffering from cough and makes weezing sound while breathing since 2 weeks. My doctor prescribed Mucolite Oral drops for 2 times a day for 7 days. Also doctor precribed Nasoclear 3 times a day and Levolin syrup ( Levosalbutamol yrup 1 mg/5ml , Cipla). These medicines started today and first dose given at 11:00am. after that i am observing since last 8 hours baby is not released urine as well as potty. Please help.
XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Give breast feeds frequently and watch for urine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Usually the medication prescribed by the doctor doesn't cause the retention of urine and stool.

How is her general activity?

How is her feeding?

Is she taking her feeds adequately?

The frequency of urination in infants depends on the hydration of the child which in turn depends on adequacy of her oral feeds.

Ask the mother to give breast feeds frequently.

Kids around this age group who are on breast feeds usually pass stool once in a 2 to 3 days, so don't worry about potty.

But definitely delay in passage of urine in last 8 hours is a concerning thing and try to feed her frequently to maintain hydration of the kid.

In spite of adequate feeds, if she is not passing urine consult the pediatrician for examination and for further management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.