Suffering from cough and have seasonal allergies. Spirometer test report normal. Underlying cause?

I coughed so hard i passed out. First time. Was scary. I'm a mouth breather, have always had seasonal allergies, work with spray paint cans, and smoke. Do spray paint solids collect over time? Or do they come out with the same mucus I've coughed up since I was a child? I pass a spirometer test. Will additional tests show whether it was caused by paint, or will the results be all confused because I smoke and am a mouth breather?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having a complaint of allergy with cough.

2. I believe your spirometer test with normal result.

3. In such a case, a chest xray, ct thorax and bronchoscopy investigation may be required as per your clinical evaluation.

4. Also your allergic rhinitis needs to be treated with nasal sprays and oral medications since it can be a cause of blocked nose and cough due to post nasal drip.

5. You need to quit smoking as smoking will definitely not help.

6. Please get yourself evaluated with a pulmonologist as mentioned above.

7. You need to avoid all types dust exposure. At least mask protection at work is advocated. They all lead to different types of lung diseases.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist