Suffering from cough and fever. Tested positive for TB. On medication. Looking for suggestion

in aug 2010 my dad was suffering from cough and fever and he took medicine bUt his TB test was positive at that time.Then our doctor prescribed us medicine for that(no injections) and he completed the course but his cough and sputum was coming continuously.After this we went to another big hospital (METRO GROUP OF INSTITUTE FOR LUNGS).Again the TB test were positive and he was again given medicine for that (including streptomycin injections) and now he is about to complete the course of 9 months within 20 days.But now the problem which is persisting is continuous pain in the left lung area which is not being diagnosed.CT scan reports and xrays saying that left lung is partially damaged and there is a kind of calcification in lung.
This continuous pain is making my father weak.I dont know what to do now...Can you please suggest me regarding this issue .I will be highly obliged and thankful to you.
My email id is YYYY@YYYY
contact no. +0000

thanks and regards XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your father seems to have suffered from pulmonary tuberculosis twice. Currently he has left chest pain. The radiological reports seem to be suggestive of fibrosis and calcifications which are sequelea of old Tuberculosis lesion.

2. It would be nice if you could let me know the exact details of TB test based on which his anti TB treatments were started on 2 occasions. Was his sputum afb smear done? was it positive? What his his current status? Does he have cough or fever currently? Was his 2 d echo done? Was pulmonary function test done? If yes, what were the reports?

3. It would be helpful if you could let me know the exact ct scan report of chest (thorax).

4. From the information provided it seems that his left lung has developed sequelea of old TB lesion which is usually reversible. If there are repeated secondary infections in the diseased lungs then surgical option of removing the diseased part does exist if the lung lesion is localised.

5. Some conservative measures at this stage could be - yearly flu vaccination, incentive spirometry, chest physiotherapy, comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation programme, good diet and long term oxygen therapy if indicated.

6. You need to get him evaluated from a Pulmonologist at the earliest.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra