Suffering from cough. Taken cough syrup but not cured completely. What medicine to take?

Question
Dear sir/madam Greetings My mother is suffering from cough for last 2 weeks.have taken few cough syrups but still it is not completely cured. Kindly suggest some medicine which will help in early recovery. Best regards XXXXX
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more details... Detailed Answer: Hi, I would be able to understand your mother's condition better if you can provide some more details 1. Does she have a dry cough or is she bringing out sputum? 2. If she is expectorating sputum, describe the colour, amount and if there is foul smell? 3. Is she breathless? 4. Is she running fever? 5. Does she suffer from asthma / bronchitis? 6. What are her past medical illness (if any) and does she take regular medication for any purpose? 7. Have you seen a doctor/what cough medication have you tried? Awaiting your reply... Regards

Follow-up: Suffering from cough. Taken cough syrup but not cured completely. What medicine to take? 1 hour later
Dear Sir Thanks for the revert ... I would be able to understand your mother's condition better if you can provide some more details 1. Does she have a dry cough or is she bringing out sputum? -- She is bringing out sputum. 2. If she is expectorating sputum, describe the colour, amount and if there is foul smell?-- Yellow color ,no foul smell in cough. 3. Is she breathless? No 4. Is she running fever?No 5. Does she suffer from asthma / bronchitis? No 6. What are her past medical illness (if any) and does she take regular medication for any purpose?No 7. Have you seen a doctor/what cough medication have you tried?Haven't visited any doctor yet.Have taken few medicines like Honeytus, corghrex etc. Please let me know in case of any other details required.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Try mucolytic expectorant.... Detailed Answer: Hi, It would have been better if you had specified the amount of sputum she brings out with every cough - occasional or plenty. Anyway, I would suggest that she be started on mucolytic expectorant syrup such as Ascoril. I prefer to use 5ml of this syrup three times a day on my patients with similar complaints. This preparation can raise her heart rate and needs to be taken with caution if she has previous heart problems. You also need to know that this preparation can slightly worsen the cough for the first few days. This happens due to the mucolytic action. Discuss with her local physician about this syrup and start it under his/her guidance. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards

Follow-up: Suffering from cough. Taken cough syrup but not cured completely. What medicine to take? 30 minutes later
Thanks Doctor !!! Kindly confirm if it is to be taken after food any criteria is there .... Secondly Unable to worsen the following line "You also need to know that this preparation can slightly worsen the cough for the first few days". Regards XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Mucolytic action... Detailed Answer: Mucolytic expectorant syrup formula break the mucous secretions in the respiratory pathway and brings them out. Due to this action, the amount of cough and sputum production would increase in the first few days. As the respiratory pathway is cleared, cough and sputum production would reduce. So all expectorant formula increase the amount of cough initially before reducing it. It is essential that cough expectorants formula is taken under physicians guidance due to its effects on heart rate. I prefer to use it before food. Hope this answers all your questions. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions. Regards