Suffering from cough. Noticed blood in phlegm. What could be the problem?

Hi Im a 42 year old woman and Ive been coughing up XXXXXXX phlegm tinged with a small amount of blood every am for the past week and I feel drained this am;Im 5 foot 6 inches and 12 stone;I dont smoke and eat a healthy diet but Im on efexor for anxiety and depression;thank you very much.
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

As you had mentioned that you have being coughing XXXXXXX phlegm tinged with blood since last 1 week, all this symptoms suggest that you have developed a lung infection. Any cough associated with blood should never be ignored otherwise it can become a serious condition.

I would advise you to visit your doctor & get your blood test & X-ray chest (PA View) done. You need to be started on antibiotics that will depend upon the X-ray findings. In case if you are already being on any treatment now & still having cough with blood that means you are not responding to the medicines which you are taking at present.

Drink more of fluids, fruit juice, coconut water that will keep you hydrated. You might be feeling drained out due to dehydration & infection.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further query I will be happy to help you. Wish you good health.