Suffering from controlled diabetes. Have difficulty in swallowing. Had fungus in food pipe. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Question
I am 72years old female suffering from controlled diabities.I find it difficult to swallow food.Three years ago in a similar situation I was diiagnosed as suffering from fungus of food pipe.Kindly advise necessary action.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastroscopy should be done at first.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are most likely caused by some obstruction in the throat or esophagus. This can be throat inflammation, esophagus inflammation. However such symptoms can also indicate esophagus cancer.
Fungal infection of the esophagus is also possible. Please note that having diabetes you are prone to have such infections. Fungal infection can also appear due to lac of good bacteria in the digestive tract. This bacteria normally protect us from bad bacteria and fungi.

I suggest you to have gastroscopy first. During this test, histopatology samples should be collected to rule cancer out. If gastroscopy will be negative, barium swallow test should be next.
You should also start probiotic supplementation and make sure your blood sugar levels are fine.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from controlled diabetes. Have difficulty in swallowing. Had fungus in food pipe. Suggest? 15 hours later
AS DESIRED BY YOU PATIENT WAS SHOWN TO A DOCTOR AND ENDOSCOPY WAS DONE WITH A REPORT AS UNDER:
UPPER AND MIDDLE ONE THIRDS ESOPHAGEALTHRUSH AND LOWER ONE THIRD IS NORMAL.FOR THE STOMACH FUNDUS,BODY,ANTRUM AND PYLORUS WERE FOUND AS NORMAL.DUODENUM D1 AND D2 WERE ALSO FOUND NORMAL.
COCLUSION:ESOPHAGEAL THRUSH,REST NORMAL STUDY.
THE DOCTOR HAS RECOMMENDED FOLLOWING TREATMENT:
1)FLUCONAZOLE TABLETS IP 150mg half a day for 12 days.
2)enteric coated RABEPRAZOLE SODIUM AND ITOPRIDE XXXXXXX SR CAPSULES EACH CONTAINNIG RABEPRAZOLE SODIUM IP 20mg AND ITOPRIDE HYDROCHLORIDE 150mg AS ONE CAPSULE PER DAY ON EMPTY STOMACH FOR 12 DAYS.
3)CLOTRIMAZOLE CANAZOLE MOUTH PAINT TO BE USED TWICE A DAY FOR 12 DAYS.
YOUR COMMENTS ON THE ABOVE MAY PLEASE BE SENT.R.K.SAINI

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your doctors advice is good.

Detailed Answer:
Treatment prescribed by your doctor is fine. Please follow his advice. As esophagus candidiasis can be caused by lack of intestinal bacteria, please also add probiotic intake and yogurt with intestinal bacteria. Avoid fatty foods, fried foods. Please increase fruits and vegetables intake (it will improve your immune system).

Hope this will help.
Regards.