Suffering from continuous sneezing, hay fever and body pain. On hypothyroid medication. Any relief?

Hello doctor.....
I stay in Pune, Maharashtra, India.
I've been suffering with allergy for past 9 months with continuous sneezing anytime of day with coughing at times. Symptoms like -
> Continuous sneezing
> Coughing
> itchiness around eyes
> Runny nose
> hay fever with mild body pain
Above symptoms occur mostly when a cold wind blows, pollination and dust. I stay at a place with lot of trees around.
My allergy was detected 9 months back when i had my first asthama attack and i came to know it from doctor.
Let me know what precuations should i be taking along with treatment to cure it as regular exercise also aggravates the allergy issue and i dont want to quit my exercise and if you recommend any doctor i should visit.
6 months back i had been detected with hypothyroid and havee been taking thyronome 100mg daily for last 6 months though reading had been normal for past two months.
Current Weight: 93kg
Height: 5'9"

Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I need to know a little more in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Is the sneezing more in the mornings than evenings?
2.what are the medications you are on right now
3. Please let me know the meals you take on an average day
4. Is there any family history of asthma? Allergic rhinitis?
5. Have you got any new furniture, curtains, carpets or pets lately?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Suffering from continuous sneezing, hay fever and body pain. On hypothyroid medication. Any relief? 24 hours later
Sneezing happens before sleeping and after i get up from sleep. The place where i stay has lot of pollination and that affects a lot. When i go back to my hometown kolhapur i hardly sneeze.

Thyronome 100mcg for hypothyroid detected 8 months back.

In breakfast i mostly prefer:-
Corn flakes or Egg fry with white or brown bread and a cup of tea.
Lunch: Daal rotee n sabjee. at times chicken
Dinner: I mostly prefer rice and daal.

The place near my office where i go for evening tea is a smoking zone with lot of cigarette smoke around.

No family history of allergies or asthama

The situation aggravated when i moved in to my inlaws place. Its an old house with lot of trees around and the room where i sleep has no windows or ventaliation.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 minutes later

Thanks for the query

It certainly looks like you are suffering from allergic bronchitis.
Here is what you should de

1. Do not sleep with the windows open at night. Let the room not be very cold
2. Avoid dust, always keep a handkerchief to cover your nose and mouth when you are exposed to one
3. Always eat warm food and warm beverages. Avoid cold drinks like coco cola, frooti, maaza, etc
4. Keep your home carpets and curtains clean and vacuum it regularly
5. Don't keep pets at home
6. For moderate exacerbation of sneezing and running nose tablets like fexofenadine will help but for more prolonged ones you might have to be put on inhalational steroids. Best person to approach is a pulmonologist
7. Just like blood pressure and diabetes there is not permanent cure for this. Alternative medicines can be tried as I have seen in my OPD that some patients do really well on them
8. Your diet is good, maybe you could add in chapathi meal instead of rice once a day

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones please let me know I will be happy to get back

I wish you good health