Suffering from continuous hiccups from four to five days. Suggest the cure?

Hello Dr. myself XXXXXXX Sharma and my father suffering from hiccups, please tell cure for it. Thanks
suffering from hiccup 4 to 5 days continuous
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try antacids...

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing on XXXXXXX

Hiccup is generally a harmless symptoms. However occasionally this can be an indication of something wrong and abnormal going on inside the body. The cause of persistent hiccups needs to be found than treating it.

Since your father has continuous hiccup going on for 4-5 days, we need to rule out XXXXXXX pathologies like infection, electrolyte and metabolic abnormalities - hyponatremia, thyroid disturbance, renal and liver disturbances and neurological dysfunctions. Therefore if he was to be my patients, I would order battery of tests that includes complete hemogram, serum electrolytes, renal function, liver function to start with. I would also write a prescription for antacid, prokinetic drugs (metoclopramide) and dopamine antagonist (chlorpromazine) to stop hiccups.

As antacid like Syp Mucaine gel is available over the counter, you can start of by giving this to him. You can use 1-2 tsp of Mucaine gel before food thrice every day. Fix an appointment with your family physician and discuss about further investigating.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.