Suffering from constipation problem. Following a healthy lifestyle. Should I go for colonoscopy?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had been suffering from constipation problem for 2 years
I used to go to toilet sometime in evening, sometime in afternoon and sometime after 1day (gap) like Monday and then Wednesday –
I had my food untimed, no plenty of water, No excursive and full of bad lifestyle
I have no blood in stool, no abdomen pain, no weight loss ( but I feel that I m becoming a little lean after I did the hard exercise and yoga

But now I did some changes in my lifestyle and now everything is OK
My question is Do I need to go for Colonoscopy test ?
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 27 hours later
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

You are having chronic constipation without any alarming symptoms like abdominal pain, weight loss or any bleed. And also because of bad lifestyle and eating habits at present it is there. And above all you are young. So I don't think there is any need of colonoscopy. However please evaluate for some common and treatable cause of chronic constipation like hypothyroidism (thyroid function tests) and serum calcium and potassium.

1.Take high fibre diet in formof fruits and vegetables (may be psyllium fibres) and lots of liquid in your diet
2.Take triphala powder one teaspoon with warm water or for better result mix it with honey and take it at time of sleep at night and one teaspoon in early morning empty stomach
3.Avoid foods that contain maida.
4. Take meals at least 2 hours before going to bed.
5. Add condiments like jeera, haldi and ajwain in your diet as these all help in digestion

If not relieved with the above measures then take some laxative like syrup cremaffin plus which contain milk of magnesia, sodium picosulphate and liquid paraffin

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation problem. Following a healthy lifestyle. Should I go for colonoscopy? 9 hours later
Sorry.... now I have given my query in detail
---
I had been suffering from constipation problem for 2 to 2.5 years (it was "on" and "off" for example when I am in Chennai I face constipation problem but when I am on vacation at Tirupur (near coimbatore) all becomes OK automatically.

In Chennai, I used to go to toilet sometime in evening, sometime in afternoon and sometime after 1 day (gap) like Monday and then Wednesday – But in Tirupur I go to Toilet everyday in the morning.

My minus points are -> I had my food untimed, No plenty of water, No exercise and full of bad lifestyle.

Note : I don’t take alcohol, No smoking etc….
=> I had checked my thyroid function tests (TSH, T3, T4) on 28th December 2012 and it was normal
=> I take toooooo much of stress for even a very small thing and its my biggest minus point:(
=> I do not know how to check serum calcium and potassium?
=> I have less hemoglobin (just less only NOT too less)
=> I checked sugar test last week and it was normal

Also I don’t see blood in stool, No abdomen pain, No weight loss (but I feel that I m becoming a little lean after I did the hard exercise and yoga recently.

But now I did enough changes in my lifestyle like On time food, plenty of water, doing exercise and yoga and now everything is OK even in Chennai.

If you wish you can please give me a call on 0000

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 7 hours later
Hello! Thanks for giving detailed history.I am able to know better about your problems.

I think you have to improve your lifestyle and eating habits a lot.

Follow advise as I mentioned previously

Serum calcium and serum potassium are blood tests for which you have to give your venous blood sample in any of the authorized lab.

Once again lifestyle changes will definitely help you so please do it. Hope you will get soon. Remain in touch