Suffering from constipation due to dull ache in lower left abdomen and taking magnese citrate. Still constipated. What to do?

Hello. I am a 39 year old female 130 pounds....went to the doctor on Friday for constipation...the reason was i had felt this odd dullish ache in my lower left hurting pain or anything but I had also had upper stomach lots of trapped gas it was also bothering my left side and back a bit doctor stated I was constipated had me take magnese citrate...took that Friday...had a movement...well quite a few...Went normal pretty normal the next day... today went again a few times....that odd ache is does not hurt...sometimes it is there and sometimes not...back is kinda bothering me again...could this mean I am still consipated? In August of 2011 I had the area Xrayed and it showed I was quite constipated..this just felt different but I didn't know if maybe gas was down in the lower abb causing the pressure feeling back and forth and if I might still be needing to go.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The problem can be due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

From the information provided, your constipation can either

* be an isolated phenomenon due to low-fiber diet : it will be relieved with a short course of laxatives and Psyllium powder/husk daily at bedtime, along with a prokinetic drug, such as metoclopramide.

* a manifestation of Constipation type of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, as is suggested by history of your parents having undergone colonoscopy (which was a normal study), apparently for somewhat similar symptoms. In this case, you need to consult your doctor who knows what would be best for you. A long-term course of anti-depressants and supplements will give you relief.

* Diverticulosis is another possibility. I will recommend that you undergo colonoscopy to rule out/detect diverticulosis or early inflammatory bowel disease.

Consult your treating doctor and discuss my opinion with him. He will examine you, order colonoscopy/other tests and, based on the reports, will apprise you of further course of action.

I will be happy to answer further clarifications, if any.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation due to dull ache in lower left abdomen and taking magnese citrate. Still constipated. What to do? 10 hours later
so probaly not to big of a worry on colon cancer....since I am able to go just fine....guess that worries me the most...
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy should be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Nice hearing from you.

Chances of colon cancer are remote, but I will still strongly recommend Colonoscopy so as to find out the exact cause and timely, appropriate treatment to relieve you of the problems.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further queries, do not hesitate to write back to me.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal