Suffering from constipation and having abdominal pain. How to get relief?

Question
I'm am constipated I have pain in both left side and belly.i enter my hand in my anus and I felt like a semi hard round like a ball it doesnot hurt is this normal.
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
It seems you may have a "fecal impaction". This means the stool hardens, and feels like a ball. This usually happens from chronic constipation, and although it is most common in very elderly patients, it can happen in young persons too. There are also some medications that can trigger this or neurological problems.
When you have this problem you can feel pain in your abdomen because the stool and gas gets backed up. The immediate solution is to use fleet enemas to soften the stool. Then try to move your bowel, although sometimes it is necessary to manually disimpact the stool with your finger.
If this is recurrent you will need to visit a doctor for further evaluation.
Hope that helped.

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation and having abdominal pain. How to get relief? 3 days later
I'm going out more freely now I manually use my finger but when I do that why does it bleed.

Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 6 minutes later
Use lubrication as much as possible. You will benefit from a gastroenterologist consultation for further advice. Continue to take a combination of a stool softener and a laxative. You may have hemorrhoids or a fissure reasons why a doctor has to examine you.

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation and having abdominal pain. How to get relief? 1 hour later
Im nervous is this something serious .

Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 4 hours later
It does not sound as something serious for the time being, but should not be taken lightly as it can get worse. The good thing is that if treated early it is easy to treat, however is you wait for further complications or problems it is going to be more difficult to help you. Again, you should see a specialist so you can get a better idea after an appropriate examination.

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation and having abdominal pain. How to get relief? 37 minutes later
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 15 minutes later
You are very welcome! hope you get better.