Suffering from constipation. What medicine should I take?

General Surgeon
Question
Every day I am having twice or thrice of "Defecation"( "evacuation of bowel solids"), since 6 months. Please let me know remedy.
I have this problem since six months, because of food poison at that time. These days I am having problem like constipation also.
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can be caused due to severe intestines infection especially that you do connect it with food poison. However it can be also a symptom of some other disease like inflammatory intestinal disease. I suggest you to try treatment first, and if not successful, you might need to have some diagnostics.
The remedy for your symptoms can be Rifaximine antibiotic 3x400 mg for 7 days. You should ask your doctor about it as this is on prescription.
If it wont help, you should have abdominal ultrasound, full blood work with liver and pancreas enzymes tested and colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation. What medicine should I take? 5 minutes later
Is my problem is not Irritable bowel syndrome?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later
Hello!

Yes, this can be IBS caused by severe infection. The antibiotic I have asked you to take treats infection-related IBS as many cases of this disease is caused by such infection. You should try Rifaximine it gives many positive responses and becomes permanent remedy.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation. What medicine should I take? 1 hour later
Right now, I am taking some suppliments like "Nutrilite Multivitamin (A Amway Product)" and "Nutrilite Vision Health with Lutein"(A Amway Product). Can I take this "Rifaximine" medicine along with supliments?
or
Do I need to stop taking suppliments while taking "Rifaximine"?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later
Hello!

Rifaximine is very safe and is not absorbed to the blood, it work only inside the intestines. You can take all mentioned supplements with it.

Regards.