Suffering from constipation. Noticed blood when passing stool. What could be the cause?

Hello Doctor, My husband just passed a lots of red blood(the whole toilet bowl and tissue paper was red) while pooping. I am worried and wondering what can be the cause? he says he has constipation for few days now. Please suggest me what has to be done now. he says if he eats fiber food he should be fine but im really worried. Thanks for your help.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Since he is constipated and has passed lots of red blood, the most likely cause is hemorrhoids. Other causes of blood in stool are fissure, polyps, solitary rectal ulcer syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease and diverticulosis.

A sigmoidoscopy test may be done to find the cause.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini