Suffering from constipation. Lump in vagina after bowel movement

I have constipation problems and when I just went to the bathroom , after eliminating I felt a lump in my vagina, what is it and should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

Thanks for your query. I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Based on your description, I can think of 2 possibilities - vaginal cyst or vaginal prolapse.

1. Vaginal cysts usually form when a gland or duct becomes clogged, causing liquid or another material to collect inside. Usually don't cause symptoms. You might feel a small lump along the vaginal wall or on the lips. This is likely to be an incidental finding and not related to straining.

2. Vaginal prolapse is the downward displacement of uterus and vagina, sometimes rectum and bladder. A network of muscles provides the main support for the pelvic viscera. When parts of this support network are weakened or damaged, the vagina and surrounding structures may lose the support that holds them in place. Straining can worsen the condition causing the lump to appear.

A direct examination and culposcopy would help in differentiating among these 2 possibilities. I suggest you to visit your gynecologist for examination. Meanwhile avoid further straining. Plenty of fluids and mild laxative such as syrup lacunose can be used if needed.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Suffering from constipation. Lump in vagina after bowel movement 14 hours later
I do have a follow up question. I had a complete Hysterectomy in 1991 so it can't be the uterus. The question is after that happens I can push on the lump and it will go away. If I don't push on it it feels like I'm still in the middle of eliminating. Will this cause any harm? I don't have a gynecologist so it will take a while for a exam as my primary right now is a nurse practitioner and I have no insurance until the disability Medicare kicks in which will be on Aug 1st. Will it hurt to wait if I'm careful?
Thanks so much and have a wonderful day!
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 11 hours later

Good to hear from you.

Uterus is important support and without the uterus, the top of the vagina may gradually fall toward the vaginal opening. Sometimes part of the bladder or rectum can also prolapse through vaginal opening. The condition is referred to as cystocele / rectocele respectively.

Few other conditions such as prolapse rectum and hemorrhoids can present with similar symptoms. Here the lump is felt close to the anus rather than vaginal opening.

It will be good to consult a gynecologist as early as possible. In the meantime as you plan to wait to see your doctor, avoid heavy lifting and straining. Exercises (kegel exercise) to tighten the muscles of the pelvic floor might be used.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.