Suffering from constipation. Could it be hemorrhoids?

I have a hard time going to the bathroom, feels like dry heaves, spasms, but it's hard to move bowels. i take miralax and it works somewhat but because of the problems i have hemrrhoids
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for writing in.

Hemorrhoids mostly occur due to constipation and constipation further worsens the hemorrhoids. It is a vicious cycle.

I hope you have already got it checked by a doctor/surgeon. If not , please do so as soon as possible.

If it is a confirmed case of hemorrhoids, please do the following:

1. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. Water helps with good bowel movements.
2. Eat plenty of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, other vegetables and fresh fruits.
3. Have Oats daily as a porridge. Have a fibre XXXXXXX diet.
4. Soak a handful of raisins in water before going to sleep at night. In the morning, as soon as you get up , drink the raisin soaked water and eat the soaked raisins.
5. Avoid oily, fatty , XXXXXXX fried food.
6. Avoid refined foods like maida, white bread, white rice. Switch to healthy whole grain options like whole wheat bread/pasta, brown rice etc.
7. Avoid meat and meat products which might further worsen constipation.
8. Regular exercise 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week is a must. Exercise also helps in good bowel movements.

I hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further doubts, I will be happy to answer them.

Hope you feel better soon.

Have a great day :)

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: Suffering from constipation. Could it be hemorrhoids? 11 hours later
thank you for the treatment on hemmorrhoids but I was wondering about the stomach issues that are the root cause of my problems. this all started in April 2012. since that time I've had a colonoscopy and everything was good. the problem is it feels like i have to go but it is very painful, spasms like its trying to push stuff out and i have to keep sitting down. this all takes about 30 minutes to 4 hours to actually feel like i don't have to go anymore. As I said i've been experimenting with mirilax....taking it in the morning and sometimes at night. it helps but i have two bad days out of the week that keep me from leaving the house. the doctor said its slow colon or something like that. any suggestions/
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 16 hours later
Hi ,

Thanks for the response.

The points I mentioned above are not just for the treatment of haemorrhoids but for your overall well being. It also covers most problems concerning the gastro intestinal tract.

I presume (since you mention a slow colon) that colon motility studies have been done. From what you have said, you seem to be fairly responding well to miralax and probably you should continue with that.

In most patients with constipation, high fibre diet like banana , oats, plenty of water seem to help. However, in cases of slow transit constipation, you might want to limit your fibre intake. Basically it is by trial and error method. If you feel the fibre diet and water works good for you, thats good. If your symptoms feel worse after fibre intake, then probably you should restrict / reduce the same.

There are other medicines available. You might want to talk to your gastroenterologist about the same. However, since you are responding to miralax , do continue taking it.

Another thing I would highly recommend is Exercise and Yoga. Regular practice of yoga has many health benefits. Do sign up for yoga classes if you have a good yoga instructor in your area.

Preferably empty your bowels in the morning, after having your breakfast or after drinking 2 glasses of warm water. It might help .

Hope I have been helpful this time around.

Have a great day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan