Suffering from constant running nose, frequent onset of sneezing and cold due to allergy. Prescribed nasal spary. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Question
I am suffering from constant running nose, frequent onset of sneezing and cold due to allergy. This problem is there from last 4 years. I consulted ENT doctors at St Johns medical hospital and they told me that nunning nose, cold most of the time and frequent sneezing is due to allergy. It might be due to anything whether or some particles. They told me that there is no cure to it. They prescribed me one nasal spray(Fluticasone nasal spray) and a medicine ( Winolap5-Olapatadine hydrochloride tab )for one month. When i used this for some time i got relief but when i stopped using this again the problem started. Doctors told me not to use nasal spray and tablet for long time. Now again from last week I am having this problem severly. Please advice what to do ?
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I have carefully read your description and understand your concern. The diagnosis is spot on - you seem to have allergic rhinitis. But you need not lose hope; it is not that it cannot be cured. You need to be patient and methodical in management of a condition wherein your body is fighting vigorously with those agents causing these allergies.

The interventions used for treating allergic rhinitis are many; but they have to be done together to get the maximum results.

1. Identification of the allergen. Some of the skin prick tests and blood tests are able to identify exactly the particles your body is allergic to. This is the first step.

2. Avoidance of the allergen. If rightly identified you can avoid them and prevent symptoms.

3. Treatment: The medicines and sprays fight against the response elicited by your body against the allergen. So they become the last line of management.

Suggestions:
Firstly, try visiting an allergy clinic in your area for undergoing these tests. There could be many allergens; pollen, house dust mites, some food stuffs including sea foods etc.

Secondly, avoid general allergens with these measures. Avoid exposure to pollen especially early in the morning and late evening. Keep indoors during these times.
Wash and dry your mattresses, beds and pillows often to prevent allergies from house dust mites. Avoid foods you feel could start these symptoms. When severe, you need to take medicines and sprays to counter your body's response.

Sreenivasan

Follow-up: Suffering from constant running nose, frequent onset of sneezing and cold due to allergy. Prescribed nasal spary. What to do? 19 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Can you suggest me name of such allergy clinic or specialist doctors where I visit and get the test and medicines done. thanks you, Regards,XXXXX

I am staying near electronics city and my phone#0000

Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 2 hours later
Are you based out of Mumbai?

Follow-up: Suffering from constant running nose, frequent onset of sneezing and cold due to allergy. Prescribed nasal spary. What to do? 42 minutes later
I am in bangalore. I am in bangalore, Near Electronics City

Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 19 hours later
Please drop into my clinic at Suguna hospital for a detailed examination. I am not aware of any allergist near your area. You can try finding through other sources including the web for an allergy clinic near your area. Dr. XXXXXXX is an allergy expert working in Dr. BR Ambedkar medical college.

Follow-up: Suffering from constant running nose, frequent onset of sneezing and cold due to allergy. Prescribed nasal spary. What to do? 3 days later
Hello doctor, Request you to kindly let me know your clinic timing so that i can XXXXXXX you. If possible give me appointment on 26-June Saturday after 1 PM.

Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 18 minutes later
26th XXXXXXX is not Saturday. I am available between 7:00 PM and 8:30 PM Mon to Friday. Please do not take appointment for today. You can take for tomorrow or next day.

Follow-up: Suffering from constant running nose, frequent onset of sneezing and cold due to allergy. Prescribed nasal spary. What to do? 5 minutes later
I am Sorry, that was typo error, I wanted appointment on Saturday-29th XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 3 minutes later
Please take one between Monday and Friday. Thanks