Suffering from constant cold and cough. Rashes appeared on skin. Any suggestions?

I'm 31, weigh about 85 Kilos, am' 5'10". I suffer from cold and cough all through the year. This started about 10 years back and hits me on and off - no particular season. But have been very constant since the past 6 months. Another new development is rashes on the skin when i scratch. My daily meds are helping me get along but its tiresome and they don't help beyond a point. When it escalates i'm put on Augmentin 625 for 5 days - it subsides and we're back to square 1. I have wheezing and I've heard doctors say that it covers all parts of both my lungs.

Now the meds i'm on:
Inhaler -1: Asthalin (Salbutamol) - As needed / I use it about 1-3 times on a good day/ about 18-20 on a bad one
Inhaler - 2: Seroflo250 (Salmeterol & Fluticasone Propionate) - 3 times a day
Medicine - 1: Montek - LC (Montelukast & Levocitrizine) - 1 per day before dinner
Medicine - 2: Synasma (Doxyfillene) - 1 After Breakfast + 1 After Dinner (goes on & off)

I'm really unhappy with the present state, and the local doctors, even after switching hasn't changed anything. The meds remain the same.

Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. From your history, you seem to be suffering from bronchial asthma.
2. 1stly your treatment needs to be tailored as per your investigation reports and your clinical condition.
3. Pulmonary function test, chest xray, serum Ig E levels, are required investigations.
4. Also home peak flow monitoring with the help of a peak flow meter is recommended.
5. If based on the above parameters you treatment needs to be stepped up then you may need to increase the number of puffs of seroflo 250 per day. You need to take it only twice daily i.e morning and evening. however the number of puffs may be increased in each dose.
6. If there is associated cold then, nasal spray -azeflo at bed time in each nostril should help.
7. To prevent repeated infections avoid possible allergens / dust / triggers. If smoking, that needs to be stopped.
8. Also yearly flu vaccination and 5 yearly pneumococcal vaccinations are recommended to prevent infection / decrease their severity if infection occurs.
9. Also weight reduction is a very important aspect of treatment.
10. In cases of severely increased IgE levels anti IgE medications may be required.
11. Also if their is evidence of bronchiectasis either clinically or on chest xray then a CT thorax may be required for ruling out ABPA (Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis).
12. Thus you need to get yourself evaluated and managed in detail by a Pulmonologist.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra