Suffering from cold sores. Have asthma and excema. Red, discoloured and swollen lips. What to do?

Jan 2013

I am prone to Cold sores (herpes Simplex) and one erupted on my bottom lip when in Hawaii. I used Some cold sore remedies but they burned. Cold sore scabbed, but chapped lips remained and hurt. The only thing that has helped lately has been Aquaphor and super Lysine I did take a few rounds Of Valacyclovie XXXXXXX and am now on Sulfamathoxazole for 7 days (it has been 4 days). My lip is swollen red and discolored. I have asthma and excema. I am very concerned. It has been 1 1/2 Months!
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Herpes simplex is a form of viral infection, and if not treated on time then it may cause local swelling with scabbing, redness and discoloration.
You are taking Valacyclovir, which is right medicine. You should also apply Aciclovir ointment locally and also calamine lotion.
If possible then send picture of your lesion.
Herpes simplex is not related with asthma and eczema but any type of disease/ stress which reduces body immunity may cause flare up of herpes simplex.
You should go for whole body check up with routine blood investigations to rule out major disease process.
You should also consult physician.
Let me know your views.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava