Suffering from cold, cough and headache. Have chest congestion and also sweat a lot. Guidance

Dear Doctor,
I am 39yrs and have just been told that my BP is 130/100.
My weight is 87kgs and ht-5.2". I currently (last week) have been sufferring from cold / cough/ fever and headache and have been on medication for the same. Though the chest congestion persists. I by nature sweat a lot but offlate the sweating has become more. I also have become a bad sleeper in the past 2-3 weeks. I have tremendous stress at work.
Please advise.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 38 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concerns,
I have gone through your history; you had cough cold most likely a viral infection and took treatment for it. I presume you are already recovering from infection.

Your Blood pressure reading is high and you need to recheck after some time to be sure it is not constantly high. It is possible some cough cold medicines increase blood pressure and heart rate.

Your weight is certainly high for your height and you need to lose those extra kilograms, losing weight also helps to reduce blood pressure. Take less salt 2.5 grams/day and take care calories in diet.

Bad Sleep may be due to cough cold medicine, if it is persisting even after stopping drugs, you should plan to visit a Physician.Excessive sweating is called Hyperhidrosis and has many causes if it is generalized we should rule out Diabetes, Excess of thyroid (Thyrotoxicosis), hormone imbalance, Anxiety and any cardiac problems.

Stress may be one of the reasons but still you should go for complete medical checkup and investigations, so that we don't miss anything.

Hope this information helps you, if you have any doubt please feel free to ask me I will be more than happy to help you.

With Best Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.