Suffering from cold, blocked nose and cough. Can romilast and altroxin used?

ENT Specialist
Question
Wife suffering from cold,blocked nose and cough continuously from 2 months. Found relief when used romilast in the first and monteluekast content drug second time. Now after stopping medication cold n cough are back. Can she use romilast 10 continuously? Also she takes altroxin 100 mg tablet regularly for thyroid regulation. Please suggest.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Add medication as suggested below, Get examined.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. In addition to montelukast, request your doctor to prescribe an anti-histamine, a steroid nasal spray, a dry cough mixture and regular plain water steam inhalation.

2. The effect of all the these together will be more efficient than just montelukast alone.

3. Hypothyroidism is known to be associated with such symptoms.

4. Get her nose and throat examined. This may help diagnose her problem better. Blood tests may also help.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from cold, blocked nose and cough. Can romilast and altroxin used? 4 minutes later
Madam actually doctor had prescribed the medicine with an antihistamine alongwith monteluekast. Forgot to mention. Can she continuously take romilast?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is safe under medical supervision.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, it is safe to use this combination continuously for a few months.

2. Usually the effect of these medications is apparent in a week to ten days.

3. After optimal control of symptoms, it is better to taper off the dose over a couple of months rather than discontinue abruptly.

4. Side effects are usually mild. It is, however, better to be under the supervision of a physician while taking medication for a long term.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from cold, blocked nose and cough. Can romilast and altroxin used? 5 minutes later
Sir, final query. Should I go to doctor-MD Physician or doctor-MD ENT or other MD doctor for continuos check up?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult an ENT Specialist.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. You should consult an ENT Specialist initially.

2. You may follow up with your Physician in the long term.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you do not have any further questions, you may rate this answer and close the query.

Regards.