Suffering from cold and sputum. Humming in ear and feels blocked. Is this due to intake of viagra?

ENT Specialist
Question
Dear sir,
I feel a humming sound from my left ear since 7 months, some times feels ear blocked . I had take a viagra before 7 months ago. is it caused for this.?. pls reply me the remedy. Also i am suffering cold and sputum repeatedly.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The humming in your left ear is known as Tinnitus.

2. Sudden hearing loss and Tinnitus are known possible side effects of Viagra (Sildenafil).

3. Since you have a blocked feeling in the left ear (only one side), you should first get your ears examined to rule out ear wax which is the commonest cause of a blocked ear and Tinnitus.

4. If the ear drum is normal, get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) to check the hearing levels and an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done to check middle ear pressure changes. Decreased hearing also makes one more aware of tinnitus. If you have a hearing loss, amplification may help mask the tinnitus

5. Common tinnitus therapy includes ginkgo biloba, multivitamins and antioxidants.

6. Trans-tympanic steroids and Caroverine Injection (Tinnex) are effective in some patients.

7. Tinnitus is fairly common and hence it is possible that there is no co-relation between the Viagra and the Tinnitus. However you may avoid Viagra till the investigations and treatment is going on.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from cold and sputum. Humming in ear and feels blocked. Is this due to intake of viagra? 2 hours later
sir,
here i am sending a test report taken few months ago as per my doctor,s reference.

Thank you for writing back with your audiology reports.

1. There is a very mild hearing loss on the left and a negative pressure in the left middle ear. Right ear is normal.

2. If medical treatment is not relieving this negative pressure, get a myringotomy and grommet insertion done in the left ear. In my experience, negative pressures worse than -150 mm Hg may not respond to medical therapy.

3. Your middle ear blockage is not due to Viagra. The minimal hearing loss in the left ear is debatable.

4. Start regular steam inhalation along with an anti-allergic decongestant mucolytic. Steroid nasal sprays may be started under the supervision of your doctor. What are your nasal and sinus examination findings?

Regards.