Suffering from cold and cough, taken A2Z with no help. Blocked ears, blowing nose problem. Cure ?

Question
My wife was suffering from cold and cough 4 week back, She has taken some antibiotics (A2Z) but the cold didn’t subside completely. Last week her cold has subsided substantially but her ears are blocked. Now she has a blowing nose only during the morning time and rest of the day she is fine. But She feels that her voice is echoed and ear is blocked , please provide the remedy for the same. She does gargling and takes steam but that is not helping.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 31 minutes later
Hello.

Thank you for posting in the query.

The symptoms that you describe points to an infection that your wife is carrying.
I would like to ask a few questions before we go ahead.

1. How many days did she take the antibiotic? Did she finish the prescribed course?
2. Has she been experiencing discharge form the ear or pain in the ear?
3. Has she been having fever in the recent times?

Coming to your query,

As you know our Ear and pharynx are connected via a tube called Eustachian tube.
When we forcefully blow our nose, due to change in pressures this tube might get blocked leading to the feeling of blocked ears and inability to hear well or an echoed sound within the ear.

My advise to you would be as follows:
1. Drink plenty of warm fluids (warm water, ginger/herbal tea/soups/rasam etc).
2. Continue doing steam inhalations at-least 3-4 times every day.
3. Continue doing lukewarm saline water gargles at-least 3-4 times every day.
4. Your wife might need a prescription of an anti-histaminic medication if she is having runny nose.
5. If she has completed her antibiotic course earlier it would be worthwhile to go visit a doctor to get her ears checked.
6. If she feels that her ears are very blocked, she could try doing the valsalva maneuver i.e to keep the nose and mouth closed and block out through the ears. But this should be done only after ascertaining that she has no infection else she could end up spreading it more.

Hope I have answered your query. Do revert back if you need further assistance.

Follow-up: Suffering from cold and cough, taken A2Z with no help. Blocked ears, blowing nose problem. Cure ? 50 minutes later
3 day course once in day
No
No

Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later
Hello.

Thank you for reverting with the answers.

Your wife seems to have a persistent post infective phase of illness.

I would suggest that you carry out the below said advise i.e.

4. To try doing the valsalva maneuver i.e to keep the nose and mouth closed and block out through the ears.

To get ears checked with an ENT surgeon if the symptoms remain un-abated.

Hope, this answers your query. I wish her a quick recovery.