Suffering from chronic tendonitis on both ankles. Had some acupuncture treatmen

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, I suffer from chronic tendonitis on both ankles. It recently was agravated by being in South East Asia in the heat and walking on swollen ankles after a long plane trip. I have been unable to walk any distance without stinging pain in the bumps on the tendons (and pain up my legs at times) for four months. Who should I go to see about this please? A GP once told me that I just had to rest and there was nothing I could do. I have had some acupuncture treatment through physio's mainly and exercises to strengthen calf muscles all which gives temporary relief. I have had this issue for 16 years and mostly avoid walking exercise and biking as the least stressful activity. However, with this latest bout I cannot weight bear easily when going downstairs etc and am over!
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Initial treatment of tendinitis is conservative.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The main aim of tendinitis treatment is to relieve pain & reduce the inflammation.

- Try putting ice over the Achilles tendon for 15 to 20 minutes, two to three times per day. Remove the ice if the area gets numb. Self-massage may also help.
- Don't start prolonged walking or jogging again until you can do toe raises without pain. Run or walk on smoother and softer surfaces.
- A shoe insert or wedge that slightly elevates your heel can relieve strain on the tendon and provide a cushion that lessens the amount of force exerted on your Achilles tendon.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen or Aleve can help with pain or swelling.
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) may be an alternative to surgery for people who have not responded to other treatments. This treatment uses low-dose sound waves.

To prevent the recurrence of tendinitis in the ankles, strengthen and stretch the muscles in your feet calves and shins.
A good way to do this : Sit on the floor with a weight taped or strapped to the front of one foot. Bend the knee at a 90-degree angle, with your heel resting on the floor; then lift the weight by pulling the toes toward you. Lower, and repeat. You can also do toe raises to help strengthen your calves.
Another great stretch for the Achilles is also the simplest. Stand on the balls of your feet on stairs, a curb or a low rung of a ladder, with your legs straight. Drop both heels down and hold for a count of 10. To increase the intensity of the stretch, keep one foot flat and lower the other heel. Then switch legs.

It is important to remember that it may take at least 2 to 3 months for the pain to go away.

If your symptoms are not improving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query.