Suffering from chronic social phobia. Specialist for treatment in Bangalore?

Hi, I am suffering froms social phobia for more than 3 decade. Can you suggest a doctor for consultation in bangalore.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 33 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Social phobia is a type of anxiety disorder and frequently associated with generalized anxiety disorder. It is characterized by anxiety in social situation followed by avoidance of social situations. If these disorders are not treated early they can lead to depression because of distress and dysfunction.

In drug treatment, two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and cognitive behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

In Bangalore, you can visit “National Institute of mental health and allied sciences (NIMHANS)” which is apex institute for psychiatry in India.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Wish you good health.