Suffering from chronic pruritus. Not cured by ultra violet light therapy. Looking for dermatologist advice

I am suffering from chronic pruritus. I have been given topical treatments and ultra violet light therapy for 3 months. I am still suffering and retired as a result of the discomfort. I am a diabetic and I have Hep C. I am not being treated for Hep C and I have been removed from insulin use due to wait loss and exercise.
I would like a dermatologist who specializes in Pruritus if possible
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 5 hours later
Dear patient
Thanks for hour query.
Pruritis can rresult from many causes and in your case dry skin as a result of aging as well as diabetes resulting in dry and scaly skin are the likely ones.
Also pAtients with compromised liver function are unable to do away with body metabolites which are deposited I skin and cause itching.
Topical moisturisers are must and topical steroids help in controlling symptoms..
The application of moisturisers can't be stopped. Cold climate,bathing with hot water further deteriorates the condition.
Patient should XXXXXXX dry with towel and not rub as that devoid body of all the moisturisers on surface.
If symptoms doesn't improve then antihistaminics are prescribed.
In rare uncontrolled symptoms mild oral steroids need to be prescribed but only after a dermatologists reccomendarion .
Follow-up: Suffering from chronic pruritus. Not cured by ultra violet light therapy. Looking for dermatologist advice 13 hours later
Which topical moisterizers and topical steroids would you recommend? Is there anything on the market that will treat me with the compromised liver. I will see a dermatologist on Friday and I would like to offer a recommendation. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 13 hours later
Dear Patient,
Any topical moisturisers containing aloe vera, glycerine etc but without fragrences can be used . Topical steroids are prescription drugs and are avilable only on doctor's prescription .

Dr.Rohit Batra