Suffering from chronic pancreatitis and gastritis. Having pain. How to get rid of this problem?

General Surgeon
I am suffering from chronic pancreatitis and gastritis. I got the first attack in 2008. Since then it is coming frequently. I have undergone MRCP. All the parameters are normal. When the pain comes, my amylase, lypase levels were very high. And the pain is unbearable. Only when i am in pain, CT Scan, Ultrasound scan shows that my Pancrease Head and Tail parts are inflammed. But when in normal condition(MRCP test is done in normal condition) Pancreas is fine. Doctor said MRCP is all fine, no gallstones etc. Prior to the first attack in 2008, i used to take alcohol. But since then, i reduced and in fact stopped taking alcohol. Pain might comes even if i dont take alochol as well. Doctor said that, reason could be my genetic mutation. How can i get rid of this Pancreatitis and Gastritis? Is there permanent cure for this? Please let me know the precautions i need to take. Right now, i am taking Razo L in the morning and ZENVIT tablet in the night. Thanks
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 36 minutes later
As per your query,it is evident that you are suffering with Acute on Chronic pancreatitis.Acute attack will occur in Chronic pancreatitis and cause severe pain.
In developed countries,the commonest causes are Alchohol and Idiopathic(cause not known).
Alchohol should be stopped completely.
Even then,if you are getting attacks ,it suggests Idiopathic cause.It can be hereditary also.
Your pancreas should be looked for Calcifications and the Pancreatic duct diameter.If the diameter of pancreatic duct is more than 6mm,you can go for Pancreatico jejunostomy.This surgery is very much helpful in cases of Chronic pancreatitis.
Regarding Gastritis,the diet should be good.You should avoid spicy foods,masala foods.Stop smoking,cool drinks,coffee.
Please take course of Drugs like Tetracycline,Metronidazole,Bismuth and Pantaprazole for H.Pylori infection ,which is the coomonest cause of Gastric ulcers.Then ,you can continue with Razo L till pain subsides.
There is no permanent cure for Gastritis as it is related to diet,life style etc.
Hope i answered your query.
If you have any doubts,i will clarify further
Wish you good health

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic pancreatitis and gastritis. Having pain. How to get rid of this problem? 30 minutes later

I have undergone MRCP test in which the pancreas is observed. They say it is good and the report is also normal. They said the genes are developed/developing/ mutation in such a manner causing Pancreatitis. How is Gene Mutation responsible for Pancreatitis?. My ancestors does not have this.

Once i travelled to chennai and was having some stress full life for 2 days. I did not have any alcohol,but had bad food(Maida) which did not get digested properly. Then next day morning, pain has come. It starts as Gastric pain and slowly radiates to back. Is Gastric Pain cause Pancreatic pain or Pancreatic Pain starts as Gastric pain? Gastric pain, i mean pain at epigastric region. My stomach bloats a lot during that time.

And more over, pain generally comes in the early morning, as soon as i got up? What is the relevance of early morning pain to gastric pain?

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 hours later
Gene mutations is one of the cause of Hereditary pancreatitis.The gene responsible is trypsinogen gene on chromosome 7.It requires two or more first degree relatives or three or more second degree relatives to have the disease.If none of your relatives do not have the disease,then hereditary pancreatitis is ruled out.Then,it could be IDIOPATHIC variety,where cause it not known.
When you went to chennai,you might have taken food outside.Because of the diet and stress ,gastric ulcer might have developed.Gastric pain develops in the stomach,mostly due to ulcer in it .The pain will be in epigastrium as stomach is located intra abdominally in epigastrium.Pancreas is also located in epigastrium,but is XXXXXXX in the retroperitoneum.But,the pain due to pancreas will also be present in the back.The pain of stomach is relieved with Rabeprazole and sucralfate syrup.The pancreatic pain needs pain killers.
In the early morning,hydrochloric acid is secreted in the stomach in fasting phase.So,pain will be more.You have to eat some thing to reduce its action on stomach.Sometimes,people wake up at 4am with stomach pain.Please take treatment for H.pylori and follow with Rabeprazole L .
Please mention the diameter of your pancreatic duct in your next query.
Awaiting your response
Wish you good health