Suffering from chronic pancreatitis. Gall blader and spleen has been removed. Losing weight. What to do?

Jan 2013

i am chronoc pancreatis pateint my gall blader and spleen is removed now iam losing my weight . so please sujjest me tp gain weight . am 70 kg after pancrattita my weigt is belos 54 kgs
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hello & welcome to XXXXXXX forum

As you are suffering from Chronic Pancreatitis and have Postcholecystectomy & postsplenectomy status, there is leastbile and pancreatic juice supported digestive system. To prevent pain due to chronic pancreatitis, you have to take low fat diet which is easily absorbed by intestine.

1) Pureed vegetable soups are ideal components for your diet fro chronic pancreatitis since they are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and they are readily absorbable by your body.

2) Lean cuts of meat, preferably filets of chicken, are low in fat and high in proteins, iron, zinc and essential amino acids to maintain good health. Diet for chronic pancreatitis needs to include only steaming or poaching methods of meat cooking, absolutely no frying or grilling.

3) Fish, especially cold-water varieties, is a great addition to your diet fro chronic pancreatitis and should also be steamed or baked in the oven to make it easier on your pancreas.

4) Eggs are great sources of protein and amino acids and gentle on the digestive system and should supplement any diet for chronic pancreatitis.

5) Dairy products contain high doses of active probiotic cultures that will help normalize your digestion.

6) Oatmeal & soyabeans due to its smooth consistency and stomach coating properties is ideal breakfast food for your diet for chronic pancreatitis supplying your with group B vitamins and other vital nutrients.

7) Water and herbal teas are great sources of hydration and should be preferred over strong coffee, tea, carbonated and alcoholic beverages.

8) Grape seed extract can be taken to improve antioxidants in body.

9) Food high in iron and vitamin B should be taken such as XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and sea vegetables.

10) Food products such as blueberries, tomatoes, cherries should be taken.

11) Olive oil or vegetable oil should be taken for cooking.

12) Eat small meals and frequent meals instead of taking heavy three meals diet.

All these maneuvers will provide you better way to mprove your affected digestive systems and will you to gain weight.

Thanks and get well soon

Dr. Mayank Bhargava