Suffering from chronic low BP. Suddenly getting high BP. Any ideas of what this could be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013
Excellent

Question
My mother has chronic los bp and now the nursinghome took her to the hospital be cause she has high blood pressure along with a 72 % o2 level. Do you have any ideas of what this could be??? Signed very worried. P.S. she is 55

Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 16 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Are your mother taking any blood pressure lowering medicine?
As she is a known case of COPD, Chronicity may lead to its effect on heat also.
So now because of simultaneous affection of lung and heart may cause low O2 saturation. This condition is called as COPD with cor pulmonale.
You should consult with physician and pulmonologist.
Low O2 is not a good sign but treatment of COPD and use of diuretics generally improves the condition.
You should also go for ECG, Chest x XXXXXXX Serum electrolytes, renal function test.
Put your query if you have.
Hope for rapid recovery,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic low BP. Suddenly getting high BP. Any ideas of what this could be? 1 hour later
Thank you for your quick response. My mother has always had low blood pressure, The high BP has come on within the past 2 days. The Polumonlogist said the low BP was common for patients with COPD. And for the last month her O2 level was in the low to mid 90's. My father had Passed from COPD and this is not something that I've never heard of (high bp in COPD) . But I'm not a DR.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 minutes later
BP is low in COPD condition but if she has another condition such as renal failure then she may have increased BP.
Increased blood pressure in majority of cases has no etiology and called as "Essential hypertension". As it has no cause, blood pressure may rise in any patient at any time. Sometime it has also been observed that BP rises for a short period and patient gets stroke, MI and it again comes to normal level.
In your mother case, increased BP may also cause Left ventricular failure.
I think this will solve your problem.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic low BP. Suddenly getting high BP. Any ideas of what this could be? 15 minutes later
Thank you very much for your time.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 17 minutes later
Thanks for appreciating.
Hope for rapid recovery,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava