Suffering from chronic liver disease, pleural effusion and septicemia. Medical test done. Suggestion

Jan 2013

Dear Doc....My Father passed away last month with Liver problem...
Herewith I shall be attaching all his latest reports with his medical history. Kindly go through same and advise, if the treatments given was up to standard. This does not intend to harm anyone or point finger. Your piece of advise shall be helpful for me to share this experience if required with others...
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 37 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

I have gone through the whole report and let me explain each & every thing one by one.
1) Your father was suffering from chronic liver disease which could be be decompensated when he was admitted on 25th Feb 2013.

2) Chronic liver disease could be due to long lasting diabetes. Diabetes may cause Non alcholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and further non alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH). Untreated XXXXXXX may cause chronic liver disease.

3) His condition was better in 2005 and his complete blood count showed almost normal values. When he was admitted in Feb 2013, his complete blood count was suggestive of pancytopenia (TLC 3900, platelets 40,000). Lesser platelets count is suggestive of severe portal hypertension.

4) CRP was high and it is a non specific investigation which only indicates that some disease process was continuing in body.

5) Endoscopy reports indicated no varices but rise of portal hypertension causes burst of esophageal varices with decrease in portal hypertension. Hence, when endoscopy was performed esophageal varices were not visible.

6)Treatment given was optimal and recommended by all physicians in chronic liver disease patient.

7) He was also suffering with pleural effusion along with septicemia and prognosis and survival in such cases in very less.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic liver disease, pleural effusion and septicemia. Medical test done. Suggestion 4 minutes later
Thanks doc for your quick and clear reply...
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 minute later
ok Dear,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava