Suffering from chronic cough. Feeling dizzy, light headed, stiffness and lack of energy. CT scan normal. Concerned

ENT Specialist

I am suffering from chronic cough from past 3 years, cough collects in the upper mouth and it makes me feel irritated. Due to this reason I'm not able to sleep properly nor I can concentrate on anything for a long time and always there is a feeling of dizziness. Also I always feel light headed, lack of energy and there is some stiffness & tightness in face muscles also.

I've taken advise from many Doctor's but no one is able to solve my problem. Also as per doctor advise I did CT scan test and the reports came normal. From past two years I am taking antibiotics, homeopathic medicine but it does not works.

In this case I am seeking help from an expert who can solve my problem so that I can live my life normally.

Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Phlegm collecting in the upper mouth may be due to a Post Nasal Drip (PND), allergy or acid reflux. Is your cough always wet or is it mostly dry? DO you feel feverish at any time of the day? Do you have chest pain? Have you had a sputum examination done?

2. Do you have any nasal symptoms or recurrent colds? Any known allergy? Has sinusitis been ruled out since you feel light headed, lack of energy and there is some stiffness & tightness in face muscles? Which CT Scan have you done-Sinus or Chest? You may share the images (including the report) here.

3. Have any blood tests been done? Has an AEC (Absolute Eosinophil Count) and ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) test been done? Is your chest x-ray normal? DO you smoke or are you exposed to second hand tobacco smoke or pollution. Do you drive a lot? What is your weight and BMI (Body Mass Index)? Do you snore at night during sleep? How is your breathing, voice and swallowing?

4. Are you currently on any medication, especially anti-blood pressure drugs, ani-anxiety medicines cough syrups. There are different types of cough syrups and cough expectorants will increase cough. Acid reflux is a very common cause of frequent throat clearing.

5. The simplest course of action will be to get this examined by an ENT Specialist and get a videolaryngoscopy done. Lung (Pulmonary) Function Tests (PFTs) may also be advised by a Chest Specialist.

6. I must emphasize that the chance of a serious problem your age is rare.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.