Suffering from chronic constipation. Done with endoscopy and diagnosed with bacterial infection. Suggest the treatment?

Gastroenterologist
Question

I am suffering from chronic constipation from a long time. I undergo for the diagnose and doctor ask to go for endoscopy. He has done that and told me that I have been suffering from some bacterial infection. There are some bacteria present in everybody's stomach and in my case those bacteria are not functioning properly.
Medication are not helping me much as I can not get rid of constipation.

Please help me on this

Few Medicine he has given me are -
Levazeo 75
Movicol
Omeprazole
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later

For relief from constipation, you need to take high fiber diet, drink lot of fluids and take fiber supplements.

If there is no response, you may have to undergo a few tests like colonic transit study to know what type of constipation you have to decide about further treatment.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic constipation. Done with endoscopy and diagnosed with bacterial infection. Suggest the treatment? 3 days later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your response.

I have been suffering from this from last few years. My regular water intake is around 5 liters in a day. I can undergo for the recommended test but before this can I share my endoscopy test report with you so that you can look into this ?

Kind Regards,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 36 minutes later
Yes, I would be glad to look into the report and guide you. You can upload the report on this page using the site's uploader.

Thanks and Regards

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic constipation. Done with endoscopy and diagnosed with bacterial infection. Suggest the treatment? 58 minutes later
Ok Doctor. Give me some time and I will upload the report as soon as possible

Kind Regards,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 days later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload the report

Detailed Answer:

Awaiting for it.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic constipation. Done with endoscopy and diagnosed with bacterial infection. Suggest the treatment? 4 days later
Hello Doctor,
I am so sorry to keep you waiting.

I have the report with me. I am trying to find an option where I can upload the same.

Kind Regards,
XXXX

Doctor,

I have uploaded the same. Please review and suggest me something that can help me. I am in a huge mess. Please help me out

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to take high fiber diet, take fiber supplements and drink lot of water to get relief from constipation

Detailed Answer:
For relief from constipation, you have to take high fiber diet, take fiber supplements and drink plenty of fluids as mentioned in one of my earlier posts
Eat lots of vegetables and fruits which will provide enough fiber. Lot of brands are available in the market that contains fiber. You need to take about 2 scoops of fiber supplements mixed in 250 ml of water. It may take a couple of days before you can see good results. Sometimes you may have to take other types of laxatives called osmotic laxatives if fiber supplementation alone is not effective.
Sedentary lifestyle should be avoided. Sometimes there might be an underlying issue which lead to constipation and this includes medical conditions like diabetes and hypothyroidism and intake of certain medications like cough suppressants. You need to get tested for these medical conditions and also avoid medications that cause constipation.

Upper GI endoscopy has no role in the management of constipation. Your endoscopy report says you have H.pylori infection. This can cause gastritis and ulcer. You need to take a course of antibiotics to eradicate this infection.

Let me know if I can assist your further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini