Suffering from chronic balance disorder and anxiety. Having fear even to stand. What to do?

Nov 2013

hi i am suffering from chronic balance disorder and anxiety. MRI was OK. has been BP patient for last 10 years but my age is 35 only. Last one year have been taking etizola 0.5 and vertin but the symptoms are there 24 hrs. I have developed fear of walking standing and going in public places. There is no ringhing sensation in ears.In MRI last year there was very early stage of cervical spondalysis was diagnosed. Today my neurologist prescribed Nexito plus in morning and inderal 10 in night. I have to make a presentation in next 7 days and i am having fear that whether i will be able to even stand..
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

I have gone through your case details and I can understand the problems you are facing on account of your balance disorder.

It is good to note that your MRI was ok. I presume that MRI brain was done and it was normal. This is because our standing, walking and balance are controlled by brain. If MRI is normal, then it is very reassuring.

In addition, we also need to make sure that your thyroid profile and vitamin B12 levels were normal (both can be tested in the blood). This is because a deficiency of thyroid hormone as well as vitamin B12 may lead to similar problems.

Once all these are normal, then we are dealing with a problem of brain functions. Added anxiety can make it worse.

As of now, I would advise you to avoid all stressors and reduce anxiety. Yoga and meditation would be useful.

Also, the medicines advised by your neurologist may also help to reduce depression and anxiety.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Suffering from chronic balance disorder and anxiety. Having fear even to stand. What to do? 10 hours later
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply doctor. Yes brain and neck MRI was done and it was ok. Thryoid levels are in control. B12 was diagnosed on the lower side 5 yrs back but have been taking injections so levels have been good. Vitamin D3 was found to be low at 6 (unit i do not know ) couple of months back so i have taken injections and taking weekly XXXXXXX as well. I am doing good in my job so no stress there as well. the symptoms are through out whether i m working or m relaxed. But these symptoms aggravate manifolds at public places so i do not feel comfortable going to malls theatre and all.At such places i start feeling faintness and that i will collapse but when i am out in open i am again better off but with symptoms which are there through out but lesser than what felt little while back. My worry is doctor that whether this is treatable or not ? whether it is getting diagnosed rightly or not ? why i wrote to you guys because i wanted second opinion on the diagnosis. Please advise if i need to go for any other diagnostic tests..
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 24 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

I am satisfied with the extensive and thorough investigations you have gone through so far. It does not leave any scope of any problem remaining undiagnosed.

Thanks for confirming that MRI brain and spine were normal.

Also, please continue the supplements for vitamin B12 and D, as you are taking now.

The fact that your problem is getting aggravated in public places, indicates an element of anxiety/panic involved in your disorder (though I agree with you that the entire basis of your disorder can not be said to be because of that).

I think you are along the correct line of treatment. However, you may consult a psychiatrist to rule out a condition called as agoraphobia, where people may have fear of open places or public places.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad