Suffering from chronic Urticaria. Having zampred. Taking Allegera and Teczine. What can be done?

I am suffering from chornic Urticaria. Is this cureable for good After having zampred 16 it goes away but comes the next day towards the evening
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 50 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Chronic urticaria is labelled if the patient has urticaria for more than 6 months duration.
Urticaria can be due to multiple causes.

It can be due to food allergy like peanuts , eggs, pulses, tomato, brinjal other seed containing vegetables, also to fermented products like pizza, cakes, idli , dosa etc

You need to keep watch on your diet and avoid above mentioned food articles.

Also any other food article which can aggravate your symptoms should be noted and avoided.
Also you should avoid scented articles, dust, mosquito repellents etc.

Allergy test is now available which can detect the common allergens that you are allergic to.
Regarding treatment Zempred 16 is methylprednisolone 16 mg .It is very high dose steroid and you should avoid it.You can stop it by tapering it.

Meanwhile you can remain symptom free by taking antihistaminic like Allegra 180 upto 3-4 times a day .It is safe ,effective and non sedating.

Chronic urticaria has an uncertain course and sometimes it cannot be cured completely.Long term treatment with anti histaminics may be required.

Consulting a allergy and immunology expert can be helpful.

Immunotherapy is a new treatment which can help you get rid of urticaria permanently.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for further clarification.

Follow-up: Suffering from chronic Urticaria. Having zampred. Taking Allegera and Teczine. What can be done? 21 hours later
Doc I need to know is it competely cureable and can I have a drink or two socially and as of now it has gone down a lot with the medicines I am taking pls advice how to taper the steriod.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 39 hours later
Hi ,
The course of urticaria is uncertain and nobody can predict the outcome .
Urticaria can be cured completely in some patients and in some patients intermittent medications have to be continued for longer duration.
You can have occaisional drink or two.
Now as the urticaria has gone down you should taper the steroid slowly.
Tab. Zempred should be tapered from 16 mg to 8 mg for a week and 4mg after that.Zempred 4 mg can be taken for a week and then it can be tapered to alternate day and then stopped.
Similarly Tab.Allegra can be taken for 3-4 times a day.It can be tapered to twice daily followed by once daily and then one on alternate day and so on.
Steroids should be stopped gradually and allegra can be taken for maintenance treatment.Allegra is safe and can be taken for months together.
Hope this helps.