Suffering from chicken pox along with chest infection. Allergic to gluten. Looking for suggestion

Hi Dr XXXXXXX I was wanting to know if when a fifteen year old gets chicken pox is it possible for her to develop lots of allergies. My daughter was 15 when she got the chicken pox quiet badly chest infection as well, since then which was about 8 years ago she has developed ongoing allergies. The most recent is peanuts and gluten she has come back negative for coeliac disease but she has an allergy to gluton. It was one thing after the other pineapple mango wine cucumber carrots her mouth tingles when she eats these things. It is very frustrating for her the strange thing is she was perfectly healthy before she had the chickenpox. I have traced it back to this main event in her life. It would be helpful to tell me what you think
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later

I think Dr. XXXXXXX is not available to answer your query and perhaps that may have been the reason why the doctor didn't respond yet. I apologize for the delay and I hope you do not mind if I address your queries. If you do not feel satisfied, please let me know.

Chicken Pox is caused by Varicella Zoster virus. This virus does initiate immune response through cell mediated immunity and production of antibodies like Immunoglobulin’s (IgM, IgG and IgA). This immune response plays an important role in treating active infection and maintaining the virus in the dormant state. These immune responses almost always do not cross react with any other antigen. Therefore I do not think chicken pox is in any way a trigger for any of the allergic reactions.

Considering the list of allergies she has, I suspect your daughter may be suffering from Atopy Syndrome which is mediated by immunoglobulin IgE. The causes of atopy are not understood completely and are linked to genetics. I suggest you to get her consulted to Allergy specialists who can advice for IgE estimation to ascertain the diagnosis and plan the management.

I understand as a mother it is hard to see your daughter suffering with so many allergies. But do not worry; there are answers available in the form of desensitization and other immunotherapy which can be planned after the evaluation.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.