Suffering from cervical spondlysis. Diagnosed with Disk prolapse. Having frequent muscle pain. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I have been suffering from cervical spondlysis from last 8-9 years. Around 3 years back I was diagnosed with Disk prolapse in C5-6. Since then I am not able to recover fully and my activities are limited though I am able to manage my day to day tasks.
From last 3 months I am suffering from frequent muscle pain(cramps) on upper back/ lower back/ legs etc.
The X-Ray results on lower back did not show any problem niether Vitamin B/ Uric acid test. There was mild Vitamin D deficieny. Around 3 months back I was diagonsed with osteoporosis also.
How do I lead to normal life?

There are few things to highlight.
1. I can't do activities that involves shaking hands like beating eggs, light jogging etc. This leads to severe pain in shoulder that goes to arms. The right side is more effected.
2. I have severe gastro problem, sometime even with crocin it aggreviates. I often gets cramps in shoulder/ upper back when gastric problem increases.
3. Pain is on daily basis and I feel it better with hot water fermentation.
4. I do neck excercises almost daily, without fail. This helps me to somehow continue my work throughout the day.
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.
I have read your details, and can understand the discomfort you are facing.
The problems are related to disc prolapse in the neck region, leading to a pinched nerve. This nerves travels to arm, thereby, causing pain in the arm, shoulder and hands.
At this stage, certain medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin would help in relieving pain. In addition, physiotherapy such as IFT, ultrasound, neck exercises are also helpful.
In some cases, epidural injections given in the neck region can also cause good pain relief.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Suffering from cervical spondlysis. Diagnosed with Disk prolapse. Having frequent muscle pain. What to do? 26 minutes later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks you for your prompt response.
Can you provide me more details on the injections.
1. How long we need to take them.
2. Are these for short term relief/ what is the effectiveness?
3. Will I be able to lead normal life after taking the treatment? This is the most important factor for me.
4. Are there any side effects?
5. What would be approx cost for this treatment?

Thanks
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

As I mentioned, the initial treatment would be with medications and physiotherapy.

Only if the above fail, would you require the epidural injections. These would lead to improvement for 3-4 months, and an improvement in the quality of life. This can be given by a pain expert or an anaesthesiologist. It is an OP procedure and should not cost more than Rs 5000/. These injections are generally safe and no side effects are noted.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Suffering from cervical spondlysis. Diagnosed with Disk prolapse. Having frequent muscle pain. What to do? 12 hours later
Thanks doctor for the advise.

As I told earlier, I am suffuring from this problem since last 3 years and have tried almost all possible treaments including alternative therapies. I was in medication for sometime followed up by physiotherapy (in 3 years more than 5-6 times). Additionally I tried Ayurvedic, Homeopathy, Accupressure etc. treatments.
All above mentioned treatment would give me some temporary relief but pain again comes back. Also these treatments would give me only 50-60% relief but I was never able to recover fully.
Is there any hope that I can recover fully or do I need to accept the fact that this condition cannot be reverted?

Thank you for getting back.

Although it is unfortunate, however, it is possible to accept that complete or permanent recovery is not possible, as this is a degenerative disease.

Of all the treatments, physiotherapy is the best, as it is free of all side effects, and possibly more cost effective.

Medications and epidural injections are needed when pain is more severe or unbearable, and both these would give temporary relief.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Suffering from cervical spondlysis. Diagnosed with Disk prolapse. Having frequent muscle pain. What to do? 9 minutes later
Thank you Doctor,

I am happy to hear the honest advise that gives me clear picture without any false promises.

Best Regards,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Thank you for your wishes!
I prefer giving the correct and clear picture, as it helps my patients better to cope with and live with problems.
I would be pleased to be of any help to you in future too...

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)