Suffering from cancer in small intestine. Got severe diarrhea after chemotherapy. What to do?

Sep 2012

Dear Doctor,
My husband suffers from cancer in the small intestine. He has got a SEVERE diarrhea as a chemo side effect (or may be tumor is the reason?)... My question is: he likes to drink milk, especially 36% cream lately. Will it increase his diarrhea? Is it OK for him to drink it with his disease? Or better avoid diary product?
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 11 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

First of all, the diarrhea of your husband is due to mainly the side effects of chemotherapy. But, the cancer itself may also cause this condition.

In this condition a dairy product may increase the tendency of diarrhea. So, right now, it would be better to avoid giving him dairy products.

He can drink milk or other dairy products when this chemotherapy induced diarrhea is over. But you should be cautious. If he develops any diarrhea, then you have to stop giving the milk or other dairy products.

Right now, you should give him a plenty of fluids to maintain hydration. Consult with your treating doctor if the diarrhea gets increased.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more queries.

Follow-up: Suffering from cancer in small intestine. Got severe diarrhea after chemotherapy. What to do? 17 minutes later
Dear Dc Arindam,

Thank you so much!
I thought so, that dairy products and diarrhea, especially milk - don't go together.

Thank you once again,

Kind regards,
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

If you do not have any more question, you can close this discussion.

Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.