Suffering from burping. What should I do to get rid of it?

General Surgeon
About two weeks ago I noticed that sometimes when I felt like I was going to burp I didn't but have had lots of gas that I pass, and do burp/belch allot at different times a day. In the past few days I get a light feathery sensation traveling up center of my chest, sometimes reaches my throat and Sometimes I cough when that occurs and... I sometimes get this aftertaste of the flavor mint or sour taste in my mouth. This light feathery sensation wave I described only a nano-second (lol) and within a few seconds or few min. I burp and or pass gas. I notice this mostly within a few min. After eating or drinking something. I don't experience any pain, nor light headness or dizziness. My heart isnt racing either when this occurs. I do experience gas rolling around my stomach quite allot or sometimes I am feeling like my stomach is growling. I don't drink nor smoke. I am 50 lbs overweight and trying to lose. I stay active, work PT on my feet at a store.
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 56 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Burping usually appears when the air gets into the stomach. This is quite normal way of removing it from digestive tract.
However, sometimes such symptom can be caused by increased swallowing of the air what is called aerophagia. This can appear within soft drinks intake, fast eating or due to stress. Sometimes it can be a symptom of some stomach disease like acid reflux disease (so called GERD), peptic ulcer (pain does not have to be present), hiataus hernia.
That is why upper GI endoscopy would be great to make sure nothing wrong is there. Especially that you do suffer from asthma which very often is associated with GERD. This two diseases can affect each other. And during endoscopy there is a Helicobacter Pylori test performed. Without this bacteria eradication, any stomach disease treatment is pointless.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Suffering from burping. What should I do to get rid of it? 1 hour later
Thank you for your response. What you said about swallowing too much air makes sense and I had noticed at times when I am at work (sales lady dept. store) and or just doing errands at home, as I am walking my breathing is thru my mouth. I plan on mentioning all this to my dr the next time I see him. What Crossed my mind when the first time or two I had this nano-second feathery type of wave sensation up the center of my chest/esophogus was maybe my heart was skipping a beat, but then quickly saw the pattern of the burping and gas rolling in my abdomen, and passing gas ! Burping etc. (embarrassing). If I could ask one additional question please ? I have NO history of Heart problems, but out of curiosity, when a persons heart does skip a beat, does it feel like what I described ? Thank you !!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later

Well, usually when the heart skips a beat (what is called atriio-ventricular block) there is no symptoms at all. Only if the block is advanced it may occur with lose of consciousness.
The symptoms you have described fits to heart tachyarythmias (tachycardia or atrial fibrillation can be sensed as some weird esophageal cramping or so that comes and goes suddenly). Usually this is not life threatening and can be treated with Magnesium 400mg a day supplementation. To have it checked you should have Holters 24h ECG performed.