Suffering from bulimia. Treatment options?

I have had bulimia on and off for nearly 25 years. I've never told any one. I have been slim and sick as well as over weight throughout the years. Finally, I'm at a healthy weight. I exercise and eat right most of the time. However, i still feel guilty when i eat and feel a need to throw up even though i know how XXXXXXX this is. Every time i do it i say its the last time but it never is. I don't know how to stop. I don't have any medical problems at this time.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

I can understand your concern for bulimia but you need the proper treatment for bulimia.

For its treatment, follow these lifestyle measures and treatment options:

1)     Control the anxiety levels. Try to identify and focus on activities that make you feel better. Motivate yourself to do things for yourself, talk to your family and friends and discuss your stress with them. They will help you find a solution to your problem. Also join some meditation and yoga classes to calm your mind.

2)     Regular exercise and proper diet are essential to good health. Exercise is of paramount importance because it releases endorphins from the body.

3)     You need to take Antidepressants, such as fluoxetine after consulting a psychiatrist.

4)     Psychotherapy and cognitive behavior therapy is of equal importance as medications and you should hold these sessions with a good psychiatrist/ psychologist. Cognitive behavior therapy stresses on concentrating on reality check and explains pointlessness of fantasies and irrational thoughts to the sufferers. This is done by psychiatric sessions with a psychiatrist. Sometimes support groups may also help in the healing process.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.