Suffering from brucellosis viral infection. Blood test, x-ray, ct scan done. Treatment available?

Sep 2012

sir i am strongly believing that i am suffering with BRUCELLOSIS viral infection disease, as i was drinked raw milk of buffalow for a month. it happens five years past. from the last five years I was suffering with different symptoms like bone pains, joint pains, muscle pains, stomach pains, back pain, vomtings etc. and also I am became very weak. various diagnosis tests were done like blood tests, xrays, MRI SCAN, CT Scan for all the above sypmtoms. But no disorders found. Four days back I searched the net , the disease having all the symptoms and found it is due to BRUCELLA virus. Also i queried this in health care magic site.

now my points are
1) whether this disease will be completely cured with medicine or not
2) Whether the treatment is available in India.
3) Please mention the hospitals names that are diagnosing and giving treatment for this disease in Hyderabad or Chennai or Banglore.
please save my life sir please please please
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 4 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

First of all, your symptoms are non specific. That means, they do not indicate towards a particular disease condition.

Brucellosis is a bacterial infection, transmitted by taking raw milk of an infected animal. It is rare in human. In this disease, the main symptom is intermittent fever, associated with arthralgia, myalgia, weight loss, weakness, and infection of eye, testis, and others.

Moreover, the incubation period, of brucellosis is 1-2 month. That means, you should experience the symptoms within 1-2 months of after consumption of milk. A delay of five years is very unlikely.

In your case, symptoms are not brucellosis. Only bone, muscle, stomach pain do not indicate brucellosis.

You have told that all the investigations are normal. But, in case of brucellosis, a typical x-ray feature is found. Apart from that, simple blood test will reveal, severe anemia, decreased platelet count. Liver function test will indicate increase AST and ALT.

In this disease, diagnosis is based on the biopsy evidence of granulomatous liver disease. Detection of specific antibodies and culture of the organism also play a role in diagnosis.

The treatment is done by streptomycin and doxycycline group of antibiotic which are available in India.

So, first of all, consult with your treating doctor about this disease for confirmation. That is enough.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Suffering from brucellosis viral infection. Blood test, x-ray, ct scan done. Treatment available? 1 hour later
thanks for your valuable reply sir.

But i strongly decided to go to brucella test sir.

i already faced the symptoms after a month of after consumption of milk. my doubt is whether the bacteria is still in my body. thats why i want to check up.

please suggest a hospital or diagnostic centre in hyderabad or banglore or chennai sir. i alreday consulted here a local doctor. but he told he has not awareness of that disease and ask me to consult hyderabad doctors.

due to this i am in full depression sir. please tell the addresses where the tests are diagnosed. i will approach that centre for confirmating the disease.

also please mention the point sir you told the incubation period, of brucellosis is 1-2 month. After that is dies or will completely established in human body.

please give me reply sir.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, incubation period means the maximum time a bacteria will take to produce a disease. That means, after this period, there will be very low chance of that particular disease condition.

I am strongly against your decision. Because, you should consult with an XXXXXXX medicine specialist in person. Tell the doctor about your disease condition. IF the doctor does not suspect it, from your clinical profile, do not think about it. Because, if you search the net by your symptoms, you will get thousands of possibilities. What will you say then? You have all the diseases?

Look man, we have learned one thing in our clinical life, that is - rare disease happens rarely, first think about the common one.

Rest is in your hand.

For diagnosis, you have to consult any superspeciality hospital. There, consult with an XXXXXXX medicine specialist. There, a liver biopsy is necessary. Followed by blood culture. The blood culture will take 2 months. It is gold standard.

Here, i cannot name any particular laboratory or hospital. But, you should visit a superspeciality hospital. That will be enough.

Hope you have your answers.