Suffering from bronchitis and sinus infection. Chest CT scan done. What are the complications?

Hello- I developed a case of bronchitis probably in late April of this year. It wasn't severe and I felt ok at first, but I did cough up yellow phlegm daily. I thought it was probably viral and would end by itself, but it didn't. I later got a sinus infection with it and went to the doctor feeling pretty bad. This was about the first of XXXXXXX The doctor heard wheezing in my lungs and ordered a chest x-ray. The x-ray was clear except that a 1 cm nodule showed up on the x-ray. A chest CT scan was then done, and the report said the nodule was "suspicious XXXXXXX which really scared me. I was referred to a pulmonologist, who gave me a breathing test (which was ok even though I still had some bronchitis) and he examined the CT pictures. The radiologist report didn't mention anything about the nodule being calcified, but my pulmonologist thinks there is calcification there, which would make it more likely to be benign. I have a follow-up in 4 months to see if there are any changes. My question to you is one that I didn't think to ask the pulmonologist. Could the nodule have been caused by the extended bronchitis that I had for about 6-8 weeks? My last chest x-ray before the latest one was 7 years ago, when I had another long case of even worse bronchitis. (There was nothing on the x-ray at that time.) Could the nodule have formed sometime after that and been there since then? Thanks for any info that you can provide. (The bronchitis is pretty much gone now after two rounds of antibiotics.)
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 4 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be symptomatically alright at present and hence no active management is required at present.

2. An old episode of respiratory infection can definitely lead to such benign calcified nodules which are mostly composed of fibrous tissue. In your case the present nodule has most likely been formed as a result of your past respiratory infection and you need not worry about it. Just do yearly xray till 2 years and if the size remains constant or it disappears then just forget the nodule!

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra