Suffering from bronchitis and experiencing pain in my left abdomen area when coughing. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I have recently been suffering from bronchitis but within the last 24 hours I have been experiencing pain in my left abdomen area when coughing? Can you tell me if this is common?.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Muscles pain due to severe coughing.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Your pain is most likely caused by muscles overload due to coughing for long time. Please note that cough is nothing more than specific muscles spasm. When lasts for few day, may cause muscles pain. Characteristic for such pain is its presence when coughing. Such pain does not need further action if no other symptoms like constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting.
Pain when coughing can sometimes by also caused by a hernia, however the lump in the pain area should be present.

I suggest you to have your pain under observation. If it wont get worse and start disappearing after stop coughing, no further action is necessary.
If any if mentioned symptoms is present, abdominal ultrasound and blood work should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.