Suffering from bronchitis. Pain and numbness in leg. How to get relief?

Usually when I get a cold it develops into bronchitis with pretty severe to severe coughing. The last couple of times whenever I would cough severely a nerve (?) on the top of my upper left leg would give sharp pain and the upper leg would seem to spasm. The pain felt almost "electrical". With this last bout of bronchitis it has become worse with not only the pain but also a warm and numb feeling in the same leg area. When I rest for awhile in prone position it can become numb and tingling and when i get up after it gets numb etc. I can have pain. Last night in my sleep i lifted that leg up and excruciating sharp pain in that leg which obviously had become numb and didn't want to be suddenly moved actually caused me to to awake yelling with very strong pain. FYI when I turn in bed on my side so that leg is on the upper side it seems stop wanting to go numb, tingling.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Bronchitis is associated with cough and difficulty in breathing. It is not associated with tingling in upper arm in any position.
It is coincidental symptoms of bronchitis and upper arm pain. Considering your age all upper limb symptoms looks due to cervical spondylitis. Possibly there is herniation of one or more cervical intervertebral disc . It is causing compression of nerve which supplies upper arm. Increase in pain after abduction of arm or keeping hand in overhead position will increase the compression and symptoms.
You need to consult your orthopaedician for examination. MRI of cervical spine may be needed depending on clinical situation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Suffering from bronchitis. Pain and numbness in leg. How to get relief? 1 hour later
This was concerning my upper left leg! Please read my question accurately and reply. Thankyou.

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 8 minutes later
Hi welcome back.
I am extremely sorry for inconvenience but I want to know exactly what do you mean by upper left leg. Is it a upper or thigh area of left leg or left upper arm.
Please mention if possible.

In both situation it still looks age related degenerative changes.

Looking forward for your response.

Follow-up: Suffering from bronchitis. Pain and numbness in leg. How to get relief? 30 hours later
The pain shoots between my knee and my hip on the upper and outer side of that left leg area. It is on the outer side of the leg. I thought the thigh was just the inner area between the knee and the hip. I don't know why you keep bringing up the arm. I have never said anything about my arm. Please read my question carefully again.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome back and sorry for inconvenience.
In medical terms, Thigh is area better hip and knee . It is divided in anterior, posterior , medial and lateral region. You are having problem mainly in upper and outer side, means lateral aspect.
You are mostly suffering from a condition known as maralgia paraesthesia. In this condition lateral cutaneous nerve is compressed at groin region below inguinal region. It is not related to bronchitis at all. There is another possibility of compression of nerve root at origin at Lumbar vertebra due to herniated disc. All symptoms associated with movement and resting position are related to nerve compression. You need to get evaluated further by MRI STUDY. It will be better if you take advise from your orthopaedician.
One is clear, it is not related to chest conditions at all.

Hopefully I have answered your query.