Suffering from bronchitis. Having breathing issues and feeling tightness in chest. Hoe to get cured?

I have been having issues with my breathing for the past 3 weeks, i had bronchitis at the start and since then i have not been able to stop coughing. now i am feeling tight in my chest and finding it hard to breath.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
As you had bronchitis to start with, I would like to ask few questions regarding it's treatment. That will help me to come to conclusion.
Have you taken complete treatment for bronchitis?
What kind of treatment was given to you? Mention the name and doses also.

Now let me explain few possibilities which come in to mind after going through your history.
1] Pneumonia : bronchitis can lead to secondary infection causing pneumonia. It is common complication associated with bronchitis. It will need antibiotic course to treat it.

2] Pleural effusion/pneumothorax: History of tightness in chest, difficult breathing supports this diagnosis but still chest X-ray and clinical examination has to be done for it's diagnosis.

Awaiting your reply.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.