Suffering from brief hiccups, sharp pain in breast plate on breathing, chronic condition. Causes ?

I have been having an issue where I have a brief hiccup followed by a snap and sharp pain of the breast plate while breathing in. It happens every 1 to 4 hours... help?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You indicated from your question that you are experiencing hiccups which are subsequently followed by a sharp pain in the center of your chest. This is somewhat common and we see it in primary care very often.

The most likely reason why you are experiencing this phenomenon is a mild degree of irritation or inflammation of your esophagus. I would recommend a couple of things for you in order to help slowly improve this issue.

The first thing I would suggest is that you purchase over-the-counter medication Omeprazole 40 mg. This is something which I would recommend that you take every day before breakfast. This medication will decrease the acid secretions in your stomach and will help heal any inflammation of the esophagus and stomach.

I also recommend that you decrease or eliminate any carbonated beverages what you might drink on a daily basis. I would also recommended that you eliminate alcohol intake and any greasy and spicy foods for a couple of weeks. I expect that your symptoms again will slowly improved over the next couple of weeks.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert