Suffering from breathlessness along with excessive mucus production. What am I suffering from?

Jan 2013

The last couple of weeks when I drink water, soda or any drink that I feel like I can't breathe as soon as I swallow. It goes away in seconds. The last 2 days in the morning I have been throwing up mucus and it has a light red or pink in it. The first time I wasn't sure if it was something I ate but when it happened again today it really scared me. I am 43 years old, I do smoke and I quit today. I just got laid off a few months ago and I have no insurance to go see a doctor.
Posted Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 46 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Are you suffering from breathlessness/ cough/ chest pain/ fever along with excessive mucus production?
There is high chances of development of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Presence of mucus with positive history of smoking suggest the diagnosis.
You have to quit smoking for along period time till any benefit appears.
Stop smoking for few days or a short period won't help.
Quitting smoking also helps you in recovering from symptoms and also prevents from development of ill effects such as lung cancer, esophageal and tongue cancer, bronchiectasis.

Difficulty in breathing while taking water and soda may be due to sudden spasm of upper respiratory tract.
Possibility of getting choking sensation also increases if you are suffering from upper respiratory tract infection.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and ENT surgeon simultaneously and should go for for through check up of your chest and throat.
You should take complete antibiotic course along with mucolytics.
You should avoid cold drinks, oily foods, sour and yogurt.
You should also perform gargles with lukewarm water and add a pinch of salt.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava