Suffering from breathing difficulty. Could it be due to pollution and smoking?

Hi doctor

I've trouble in breathing. I'm getting this problem very recently, I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen, I've to XXXXXXX breathly like every ten seconds. My parents have no breathing trouble. I smoke like 2 cigarrates a day. I recently moved to Bangalore where the pollution is very high. I don't know if it's cuz of smoking or cuz of pollution. I didn't get this problem earlier. I feel like this in the evenings when I leave office & sometimes in the night when I go for bed. And sometimes I noticed, when I think about something & get excited I feel like this. I don't know if I'm not breathing properly when I get excited. please guide me doctor

Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 16 hours later

Thanx for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Having gone through your query, i am of the opinion that:

1. You must undergo a complete evaluation by a pulmonologist since this is the first time that you are experiencing this problem.

2. Both pollution and smoking can cause breathing difficulty and asthma like symptoms. Are you allergic to dust, smoke, cold and dry air or anything else that you have observed?

3. Complete evaluation should include a routine blood test including AEC, IgE, an xray chest and a PFT beside detail clinical examination by your pulmonologist.

4. Lastly psychosomatic aspect also needs to be considered as stress and psychological makeup can also cause functional breathlessness( where in you actually do not have breathlessness but feel that you cannot take full breath and you repeatedly take XXXXXXX breaths) or aggravate asthma symptoms.

5. In the meanwhile you may take levolin/aerocort inhaler 2 puffs 2 to 3 times a day when you experience breathlessness and if you are relieved, that`s also a measure of asthma.
Follow-up: Suffering from breathing difficulty. Could it be due to pollution and smoking? 18 minutes later
Hello doctor

Thanks for your detailed response.

I've noted down the tests that I need to take up & I will fix an appointment with Pulmonologist as you replied

I'm not allergic to anything like you said doctor. I haven't noticed so far.

And as far the Psychosomatic aspect, Whom should I XXXXXXX or What tests do I take ?

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 19 hours later

Once you have consulted the pulmonologist, he will be able to asses your problem and will be able to establish the diagnosis. If all is well, then may be it`s functional and you don`t have to do anything more as things will settle down soon.

However i`ll suggest that you stop smoking all together as it is responsible for many a diseases in the long run.