Suffering from breast cancer. Having weakness, body aches and loss of appetite. Are these symptoms due to cancer?

My wife has breast cancer, and lately it has been dormant. However, she is currently ill, she feels weak all over, her sides hurt, her heart hurts, and she is losing her appetite. She refuses to go to the hospital. What can I do for her at home to help her get well? Is the cancer the possible cause for these ailments?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Generalized weakness, bodyaches, loss of appetite, a feeling of not being well, etc all these symptoms are commonly associated with cancer or the cancer treatment - chemotherapy.
She needs a medical care to restrict the further growth of cancer cells and their spread. Breast cancer in its initial stages can be controlled and treated well with an excellent 5- year survival after treatment. There is no need to be disheartened.
An early treatment will stop the disease progression and is associated with a better outcome.
For her general well being, you can provide her a well balanced healthy diet. For generalized body pains, taking a mild pain killer like acetaminophen and ibuprofen will be helpful. Appropriate multivitamin and calcium supplements will help her regain the lost energy.
At this point I would like to re emphasize the importance of an early diagnosis and treatment. Please do consult your physician for proper treatment soon.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from breast cancer. Having weakness, body aches and loss of appetite. Are these symptoms due to cancer? 22 minutes later
These answers were very helpful, but she still refuses to go seek medical attention. I have tried begging her to go, but she continues to refuse. I do not know what to do to make her understand that she needs to get help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
I can understand your concern.
It is really sometimes tough to change someone's mind. A help from family and friends might be helpful in making her understand the importance of a trouble free prolonged life.
Breast cancer support groups consisting of breast cancer survivors may offer a valuable support and counselling. You can make her interact with one such group in your area.
Hope my answer is helpful.