Suffering from brain hemorrhage. Now in ICU with ventilator support. Any treatment available?

Nov 2013

My mother is not feeling good she is suffering from brain hemorrhage & she is not in conscious since for the last one week the following things has been taken by the doctor. CT Scan, Coiling, Brain Surgery, Draining the fluids, now she is in ICU with ventilator support she is not getting back her conscious which is making us to worry a lot. The doctor now they are saying that maybe brain stem would have been damaged because after the surgery the brain seems good but my mother is not getting her conscious back. Pls advice what needs to be done here.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 48 minutes later

Thank you for posting the medical details of your mother.

Your mother has most probably suffered from subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) due to a ruptured aneurysm. She had additional complications such as brain swelling and additional bleeding. So far, three surgeries/procedures have been done- coiling, hole in the brain to drain the fluid, and decompressive surgery for the brain swelling.

She is still critical, as she is on ventilator and is not fully conscious.

In this situation, improvement does take time. However, if brain stem is damaged, it takes much longer and moreover, complete recovery may not take place.

MRI is a good method to assess the brainstem damage. Other tests which can help us in the same are clinical bedside tests (such as cold calorics, apnea test, Doll's eye movements, etc) and evoked potential studies.

In any case, treatment seems to be along correct lines.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog: