Suffering from bone TB. Taking medicine. Noticed blood in stool. Is this normal?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi doc. My name is XXXXXX and i am suffering from bone tb. It has been one and a half month's since i have started the medicine course. Since last few days, i am getting blood in my stool. Kindly suggest whether it is normal or not???
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query

It is not normal to getting blood in stool after taking anti tubercular treatment (ATT) for bone tb. I suggest you to get it evaluated by your doctor soon.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any more concern.

Wishing you healthy life.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon
Follow-up: Suffering from bone TB. Taking medicine. Noticed blood in stool. Is this normal? 8 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor.
But I would like to ask that is there anything to worry about it???and any test would also be done for this???
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

Blood in stool is worrisome. Blood in stool means there is bleeding some where in your digestive tract.

Tests to determine the cause of bleeding -

Endoscopy- Inserting an endoscope, a flexible tube with a small camera on the end , through the mouth to look for the source o bleeding.

Colonoscopy- In this scope is inserted through rectum to view the colon.

Barium x-ray (barium enema)- A procedure that uses a contrast material called barium to making the digestive tract show up on an x-ray.

Hope this will helps you.

Warm regards
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.