Suffering from body pains, stomach bloating, Acid reflux and Insomnia. Having acidity problem. What can be done?

General Surgeon
My wife is having acidity problem since 6-7yrs. She is suffering with the below conditions:
Body pains
Stomach bloating
Acid reflux
She gets lot many burps at times. She feels comfortable whenever she burps, at the time when she has the urge to burp. Her body pains reduce a lot when she burps and she feels lite.
She is taking treatment with a gastroenterologist for her problem. She could see the improvement due to the medications prescribed by him.

Recently in a follow-up check up, the doctor suggested her not to burp. He says "its ok if u burp when u consume any carbonated drinks or at times when the burps come automatically. The system inside will be spoilt if u burp purposefully, to ease ur pains."

She tried as suggested by him. But it is increasing her body pains and causing restlessness.

Now She is in dilemma whether to burp or not to burp. Burping is easing her body pains and relieving me from stress caused. But I'm worried if system inside gets spoilt if she burps to release gas.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Your wife symptoms can be caused by acid reflux diseases, especially burping and acidity. However you need to know that all this symptoms can also appear with mental disorders like anxiety and depression.

Burping can be caused by increased air swallowing due to chewing gum, eating too fast, smoking, loose dentures, drinking carbonated drinks, anxiety, stress. There is nothing wrong in burping and it can not cause any harm to your wife. So if she finds it helpful, no reason to prevent from burping.

Burping can be also a symptom of stomach issue like stomach inflammation, Helicobacter Pylori infection, hiatus hernia. That is why it is very important to have gastroscopy done. It is possible that Helicobacter Pylori infection is triggering her symptoms and its eradication will really help. This infection can be checked with gastroscopy.

If everything will be fine with her stomach, in my opinion it is worth to ask psychiatrist for help. Burping, acid reflux (stress or depression stimulates stomach to produce an acid), body pains, insomnia can all be caused by mental condition. It is because our brain can control every part of our body. When there is some mental problem, it really affects many body functions. Your wife has a right to feel comfortable, that is why psychiatrist consultation might be very helpful and it is worth to try.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.